Monday, June 8, 2009

Globalized Croissants

A while ago I made the conscious decision to embrace my adopted NorCalishness and trained myself to like Peet's coffe. I've come around on the coffee and while I still insist that it's more of an acquired taste than other coffees, I am appreciative of the strength of their straight up brew. But it seems like their pastries are not even a push with Starbucks' and that's saying something bad.

Take this croissant I tried on Saturday morning. It's clearly been using Head and Shoulders, because there's not a flake in sight. And that may be good for hipsters in black t-shirts, but flakiness is the essence of croissant-ness just like moisture is the essence of wetness.

When I bit into this thing, it responded way more like a dry sponge than I wanted it to and I ended up throwing it out after a few bites. Which, I mean, how bad can a croissant be? I used to lump croissants in there with pizza and sex, even when it's bad it's good. Not this time.

Sad that this detracts from Peet's plucky status as the anti-Starbucks. But at the end of the day they're both making the regrettably globalized decision to outsource their pastry production to 3M and it seems such an avoidable tragedy that you can't get a good cup of coffee and a good croissant at the same place.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Friend

    just checking out your blog, saying hi.

    I used to work at Peet's. Not so much good there...

    : /

    ReplyDelete