Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Feel Flows



I saw Almost Famous last night for the first time since it came out and was blown away at how well that movie has stood up to time almost 9 years later. Some movies don't age so gracefully. Forrest Gump, for example, feels unbelievably hokey and almost cheesy when I watch it now.

Of course, the soundtrack throughout the film is terrific, though I think they rely a little too-heavily on Led Zeppelin (if that's possible) as a simple insurance for '70s credibility. The riskiest song choice, then, is in the closing credits with the impossibly-trippy Beach Boys song 'Feel Flows' from the 1971 album 'Surf's Up.' Would that they'd been so adventurous with the rest of their choices on the soundtrack I might have actually discovered some more '70s sounds I didn't already know about. 

'Feel Flows' is a miracle. After Pet Sounds I wasn't sure I'd find anything left in the Beach Boy's catalog that could turn me on. 

'Unfolding enveloping missiles of soul ... White Puff Glisteny Shadowy Flow.'

No comments:

Post a Comment