Thursday, December 11, 2008

Honey & Biscuits


Lately I've been obsessed with honey, putting it in everything from my tea and grapenuts to salad dressing. It came up again in conversation the other day when someone pointed outwhat may be honey's greatest miracle of all. Not it's intoxicating aroma or glowing golden color, nor the rich texture or sweet, sweet taste. Honey never goes bad.

Even when it's crystalized in the pot, you can heat it up in the microwave or  emers the container in warm water and you're back in business. This got me curious about how bees make such a special substance. According to Wikipedia, they collectively digest and regurgitate flower pollen over and over until they achieve the desired quality using a special apparatus called a 'honey stomach.'

Good to know. Sort of disgusting when you think about it. But not enough to offsite the delicious appeal of honey. And the Wikipedia masters of the honey article were prescient enough to temper their anatomical discourse with the tempting picture of honey and biscuits above. I don't think I've ever witnessed anything more inviting and know what I'll name my twin daughters (if I ever have them): Honey and Biscuits.



2 comments:

  1. Someone is seriously really into food blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many bees does it take to make a spoonful of delicious and fragrant honey?

    ReplyDelete