Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Remarkably Nice Thing Starbucks Did

I'm really excited about my new coffee maker, a Cuisinart DGB-600 Grind & Brew Therml 10-Cup Automatic, in 'brushed chrome,' which I received as a wedding gift over 2 years ago and have just now retrieved from my father-in-laws attic and deployed in my kitchen.

Next step was getting some coffee. So this morning I ran out to the nearby Starbucks and picked up 16 ounces of 'Shade Grown Mexico,' which only sounds like an exotic strain of marijuana. (Which 'coincidence' must have crossed the minds of Starbucks' marketers before it crossed mine. So you kind of think they're doing it on purpose, but hey... weird works sometimes.) As I pulled out my card to pay, the woman at the counter asked if I would like my free tall cup of coffee with that?

I'm not sure why, since a cup of coffee isn't really a huge freebie, but this really surprised me in a good way. Perhaps it's because I'm paying for my coffee at work these days. Anyway, I accepted the free cup of coffee, then tipped her a buck, thus negating the monetary advantage, and went on my merry way.

Sad it derailed my vision of my own carafe of home-brew, but that can wait in light of such remarkable marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment